READY IN: 1hr 15mins
Yields: 16 Servings
- 1 1⁄2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄8 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- chopped walnuts
Serving Size: 1
Calories from Fat 185
Total Fat 20.6 g
Saturated Fat 12.3 g
Cholesterol 89.5 mg
Sodium 365.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 75.7 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 55.7 g
Protein 5.5 g
- Preheat oven to 275°F (135C).
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
- For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top of the frosting, if desired.